Monday, March 15, 2010

A quote at the right moment is like corned beef and cabbage. Delish!

Quotes are to live by. Sometimes I read a quote that identifies so much with what I'm feeling, that I know the author must have had me in mind when he or she wrote it. Or, maybe just the quote Gods made sure it ended up in my inbox that day.

“Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts.”
― Charles Dickens


Disappointment after disappointment can lead to another disappointment. So the first part of this quote is very hard for me to follow. While I feel like I share as much of me as I can with friends and family, I do feel like my heart has hardened towards romantic love. As cliche as this may sound, I feel like I have a wall around my heart. A well laid, brick wall. I've been through a situation that has kicked me in the chest, beat me to the ground, punched me in the stomach and then got in the car and ran over me. It has not been easy, and to this day, that situation backs up and runs over me on about a weekly basis. Fun huh? The first part of this quote reminds me that people aren't out to hurt me, and if I have a hard heart, I could miss out on some great opportunities.

Oh, the second part of this quote, now I have that part down. I'm a redhead, temper is in my blood. I'm stubborn, I know what I want, and if I don't get it, I might get a temper. Who am I kidding? Let's just say, I can accomplish part two of this quote.

The third part of this quote, while can be taken literally, can also be taken figuratively (thanks Jeff). I want my touch to be friendly, compassionate, unforgettable. I also want my 'touch' to mean something to people. I want the people who have been 'touched' by me to understand me as a person, know me deeper than my surface, and hopefully, by my 'touch', I have made a difference in people's lives. The third part of this quote is something to live by.

“My recipe for dealing with anger and frustration: set the kitchen timer for twenty minutes, cry, rant, and rave, and at the sound of the bell, simmer down and go about business as usual.”
― Phyllis Diller


Another quote that I really had to take to heart today. I have been in a mood all day, a hot mess if you will. People who said 'hi' to me instantly backed away with caution. (If you were one of those people, sorry, but I'm blaming it on the red hair.) While I wish I could have taken part in the above quote mentioned activities at work, I couldn't, so I did as soon as I got home. I mean I really did it!!!!!!! And now, I'm a different person. Lesson to be learned - next time I want to attack someone who simply steps foot in my office, I'll close my door, set my phone alarm, cry, rant and rave!!! Then, feel free to enter my office.

Idea - Why don't you post a quote that relates to how you are feeling right this very moment?

Dedicated to today's victims.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah-
    That wall around your heart is something that someday, someone is going to care enough to take everything single tool Home Depot can offer and smash it to pieces. You may already know that someone, he may be someone who creeps into your office during that breakdown, or someone you have yet to meet--but someone will tear that down.

    My quote at this moment?????!!? Oh I do not have one for the crazy ass emotions--but I am sure I will post one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate, I tend to put up a wall around my heart as well. Sometimes it seems easier than being vulnerable... I'm slowly learning to let that go!

    My quote at the moment:
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this one on a friend's page, found it rather fitting for both of us... ;-)

    Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first. ~Frederick B. Wilcox

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean more to me than my words. So, whatcha thinking?