Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gone Fishing


Last Friday night I'm over at my sister's house and I'm talking to her about possibly joining Match.com, since my friend thought it would be a good thing to do. My sister also thinks it's a fabulous idea so I sit down at her computer in the kitchen and start looking at the guys, cuz after all 'It's Ok to Look'. I asked my oldest nephews if they wanted to help me shop for a new uncle. They both gave me confused looks but walked over to the computer and started to point to a few guys they both thought would be good for me. Andrew picked a guy that I would say is not my taste and I had to ask him if he REALLY thought he was cute. Andrew admitted that he didn't and that he would be more serious about his selection next time (in so many words). My 2 year old nephew wanted to get involved in the project so he pushed a stool up so he could see the screen and started pointing at every single guy on the screen, one at a time, ending on pointing to himself - 'Pick Me'.

So, I see that there are some decent guys on the site, the boys agree, and we decide to make a profile, just as my Mom and Dad walk in. I write my description and answer the questions and the family all helps me pick my main picture, my dad's choice winning out, and my profile is now complete.

Picture this - Me, sitting at the computer with 3 little boys sitting around me, all shopping for an uncle on Match.com. Hey, at this point, I might as well make my dating life a family event. How is my Friday night experience not a perfect commercial for Match?

So yes, now my friend and I are both on Match.com, hoping to 'Start a Love Story'. I figured with everything that has happened throughout the last 2 1/2 years of my life, this is just the next step, the next chapter. And, I might as well try it, because trying new things is right up my alley lately. As we're sitting in the bar discussing who has winked at us, who has shown 'Interest' and who has emailed, I decided it was a little embarrassing to admit we are on Match.com (even though I'm admitting it to all of you readers right now), and we should definitely come up with a nick name for it since making nick names is what we do. Fish Market = Match.com. It's a perfect name for it. You have the Bottom Feeder, which are the guys who just want some action and are winking at every female on the site, especially the ones way out of their league. You have the Trout, which are the guys who are OK, but we're definitely not looking for OK at this point. Then, you have the Salmon, which is the man you want, the man you hope winks at you, and maybe even sends you an actual email. Besides all these reasons, I saw the word 'Fish' on the window of the bar we were at and it sounded like a good idea at the time.

So, how is the Fish Market going, you're probably wondering? It's A LOT of work. I get so many winks, Interests, emails a day that it's flooding my Inbox. It's hard to weed through all of the Bottom Feeders to find a Salmon or two. Who knew so many single men were trying out online dating.

I've also learned a lot about myself while using the Fish Market. For example, I'm very into looks. Before I dig any further into someone's profile, I have to look at all of their pictures, and if I don't find them very attractive, then I delete them from my page. But, if I find them attractive and ONLY when I find them attractive, I read their profile. Even if it's not very good, I still might give a wink back. After all, 'It All Starts With a Look' and if I don't like the look, then why should I go any further?

I was told last night that I have to be more bold with my account, which includes *deep breath* actually meeting people in person. I guess IMing and emailing aren't the best ways to start (or have) a meaningful relationship. So, I may take that step, we'll see, and once again, stay tuned.

Dedicated to my Salmon. I'll catch you some day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I a soooo excited to hear about this! I have a couple friends that met their boyfriends/husbands on match.com I think it is wonderful!!! In this day and age when so much of our lives are ONLINE what better way to meet someone? There are a lot of fishies in the sea--but I hope you find yourself the best catch ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. I joined Match.com after much prodding from my girl friend that was already on Match. I joined and I went on more dates than I can say. It was work, a lot of work- so much so that when my free 6 months arrived, I had already decided I was ready for a break from dating. Meanwhile I had been talking to a guy and we continued to email and eventually went on a date. It was perfect, he was perfect and all my "hard work" paid off!

    I wish you luck, but my advice to you is don't eat too much fish at once- pace yourself and have fun along the way. I had so much fun laughing with my girlfriends about the dates I went on and the crazies I met. One last piece of advice- always suggest coffee or drinks, never commit to dinner or else you might be stuck with a dud through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, just came across your blog. Online dating is definitely the way to go. It's much easier to wade through the bottom feeders online than it is at a bar, although is there a reason that salmon ranks higher than a trout in the fish hierarchy?

    Emailing and IMing is perfectly fine until you are comfortable enough to meet in person, and probably only a very few guys will be worth it. I'd say less than 10% of the women on match are worth meeting in person - I'm sure the percentage is smaller for guys. Take your time and weed them out...it sounds like you've got some good helpers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only take so much trout, maybe every once in a blue moon, and even then, I only take a bit or two. Now salmon, I love salmon. I will eat that constantly.....it's good for me, it makes me feel good and it's tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean more to me than my words. So, whatcha thinking?