Monday, February 22, 2010

7 Minutes in Heaven

Remember junior high Boy/Girl parties? Ahhhh!!! *Sigh* Ahhhhhhwkward. Ok, now fast forward about 15 years. Imagine going to that same Boy/Girl party, but now you're 27. I'm not kidding, I went to this party!!!!

Let me walk you through my friend's and my experience. We signed up to go to Alice's Bitter Ball, which was the Friday before Valentine's Day, which is why it was called 'Bitter' Ball - because it was for singles only. And yes, we totally put on our best threads (ok, I don't think either of us were very confident in what we were wearing, hence the texts back and fourth while we were getting ready). And yes, we both checked our make up before we got out of the car, but this time my friend was driving, rather than our Mom, and it took us about a hundred years to find a parking spot.

So, we get there, we walk in and we get a name tag. But instead of our name, we get a number. Very clever. So this number now represents us, and if someone is interested in us, but not confident to come and actually talk to us (which seemed to be the theme of the night) they could send a text to our 'number' and it would show up on the big, huge screen. Great, so now we have numbers that don't stick very well, especially with the style of shirts that we were wearing, which were placed exactly in the right spot to enhance our cleavage, but not enhance a 'name tag'. We quickly grab a beer and start watching the big screen, cuz really, there's nothing else to do.

The girls were talking to the girls. The boys were talking to the boys. Quick glances were being made across the room at the so-called 'crushes' of the evening. And, to top it off, we had a classic game of Spin the Bottle and 7 Minutes in Heaven. To answer the question that I'm sure is now on your mind - no, I did not participate in either of these games, as swapping spit with complete strangers who have just swapped spit with another complete stranger makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I don't think it had this same effect on me when I was in junior high.

We did meet a couple of nice lads that night, but none that we will talk to outside of that night and we may have tried to find an escape route a time or two.

One of the best stories of the night, we were watching the big screen, a lot. So we decided to entertain ourselves and we put this message up on the screen. Then, we're talking to this random guy and he says 'Who would write that?' about another post. 'Seriously, it seems like that person wrote that about themselves. Who would do that? Pathetic'. And my friend agrees as we walk away giggling. Pathetic? More like bored.




So, the good news is, my friend and I tried something new. We put ourselves out there. When we were feeling a little bummed about the upcoming lover holiday, we decided to do something about it, rather than sulk. And, while we may not have found our Valentines, we did eventually find our escape route for the night - a photo booth!!! (Man, we have some cute pictures.)

Dedicated to #332. OMG!!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously cute pictures-and you girls were probably the hottest ones there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is too funny! I'm with you on the adult spin the bottle and 7 minutes in heaven... don't think I'd be participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious!! Love the photo booth pics!!

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean more to me than my words. So, whatcha thinking?